Monday, February 4, 2013

Sauerkraut lovers

Faithful readers of this blog may recall that I love sauerkraut.  Recently I had some time while cooking up a big pot full to read the nutritional info on the back of the package.  Imagine my surprise to learn that a "serving" of sauerkraut is only two tablespoons!

















That's ridiculous, in my humble opinion.  Apparently the guy who came up with this ruling was brought up to eat sauerkraut only as a condiment on top of a hot dog.

(I have nothing against eating sauerkraut with hot dogs, but I believe that when you do so, you put a big heaping pile of kraut on your plate and eat it with a fork in between bites of your dog.)

Here's what I consider to be a decent, if smallish, serving of kraut:

















The good news is that even if you eat  a cup of kraut, it's only 40 calories.  Let's have some for lunch.

2 comments:

  1. Funny...potatoes, saurkraut and dogs..yum...but I have to add ketchup. Why is it that the perfect combo is....well....I think perhaps a little unhealthy? Love it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the sausages are unhealthy unless you prick them and let all the fat ooze out before you eat them, and I guess the kraut is high in sodium, but it's also high in Vitamin C.

    Besides, if you really love something it should be good for you. The bad substances are canceled out by the endorphins. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete