Sunday, March 25, 2012

More package woes

My usual complaint about modern retailing is overpackaging -- wrapping the bread in cellophane inside the plastic bag, sealing things inside that awful clamshell armor.  But today my thoughts turn to underpackaging.

I did my best to open the new box of cereal neatly.  Tried and tried to separate the edges of the bag without tearing it, but this was the best I could do.  I could have cut it open, I suppose, but that would have given me less bag to subsequently fold over inside the box.

















And for not the first time, I wondered why cereal doesn't come in a zip lock bag.

Looking at the first site that popped up on Google, I found one-gallon 10x12" ziplock bags at 7 cents apiece if you buy a lot of them, and I bet the buyers at General Foods could negotiate that down quite a bit.  Since the cereal already costs $3 or $4 a box, another nickel wouldn't seem to be a dealbreaker.

I would gladly pay the nickel if the box read "seal the goodness in with our exclusive zip lock packaging!!!"

Maybe I need to decant my cereal into my own zip lock bags.  I have long kept such bags in the kitchen for frozen waffles, another product that cries for better interior packaging.  Am I the only one who hates torn bags and escaping food?

No comments:

Post a Comment